Dundas Street West looking across Spadina Avenue 1909
The same view a year later. Note the trees and boulevard have disappeared as the road was widened.The grand house on the right was built by Dr. H.H. Moorehead in 1886 and was demolished shortly after this picture was taken. The Standard Theatre was the built on this corner in 1921. Re-namned the Strand in 1935 and after the war The Victory. One hundred years later and things have certainly changed. It's no longer a residential neighbourhood.
In 1968 the row houses seen in the second photo were still there, but not for long. In 2010 the row houses are long gone but the Art Deco mechanic shop/garage is still there.
The Box Office in 193719472010 The Parkdale Theatre on Queen Street West was built by the Allens and opened April 5, 1920 and was very successful thanks to it's proximity to Sunnyside Amusement park. It finally closed in 1970. A substantial venue with over 1500 seats. For a short time the box office was used as a Beer Store and more recently the entire space has been divided into several antique stores. In the 1937 photo the film playing is "Kid Galahad". In the 1947 photo the film is "Humoresque". Back when Parkdale was considered a suburb!
The lobby from 1947.
For more information on Toronto's Lost Movie Houses please look for John Sebert's book "Nabes". A recent article on The Parkdale Theatre can be found here at Silent Toronto.