Sunday, July 11, 2010

Adelaide and Sheppard/Then and Now

Looking east at the north side of Adelaide at Sheppard in the late 1940's.
The building on the left is The Concourse Building. This is before Adelaide was a one way street.

Richmond and John/Then and Now

The S/E corner of Richmond and John in 1935.
The same corner in 2010.

More Old Cars

King and Church/Then and Now

The south side of King Street from Church at the turn of the century.

Back in the late 1960's when this was taken, King and Church was somewhat rundown and dreary. This had once been the main shopping street in the city and quite fancy.
Pasquale Brothers (seen here) later moved to 217 King Street and then to Etobicoke.
D. Pike Company is still in business as Pike's Awnings and now located in Woodbridge.
40 years later it's been revitalized.

King and Bathurst/Then and Now

The Wheat Sheaf Tavern (1848) sometime in the late 1960's.
It was rumoured that a secret tunnel connected the Wheat Sheaf to nearby Fort York...The Wheat Sheaf in 2010.

King and Dowling/Then and Now

Looking south down Dowling Avenue from King in the 1940's.
The same view in 2010.

Adelaide and Portland/Then and Now

The N/W corner of Adelaide and Portland in May of 1933. Some repairs are definitely needed.

Six months later.
And now 78 years later, no longer a laundry it's now Sadie's Diner.