Thursday, December 23, 2010

Sorauren and Wabash/Then and Now

Looking east along Wabash from Sorauren in the early 1950's with the Linseed Oil Mill to the right.
Looking north on Sorauren across Wabash and the TTC depot.
The abandoned factory as it appears today.

Circle Theatre Yonge Street/Then and Now

Queen and Roncesvalles/Then and Now

Looking east across Roncesvalles on Queen in 1923.

This Must be Progress/Parliament Street 1971

I've posted this photo previously but here is the article that went with it from the Toronto Star 1971. Click on the image to see a larger version.

St. James Town is the largest high-rise community in Canada. It consists of 19 high-rise buildings (14 to 32 stories). These massive residential towers were built in the 1960s. Approximately 17,000 people live in the neighbourhood's 19 apartment towers, making it Canada's most densely populated community, and one of the most densely populated neighbourhoods anywhere in North America.

St. James Town is one of Toronto's poorest neighbourhoods.

Bloor and Keele/Then and Now

Looking west along Bloor across Keele in the winter of 1915.
A similar view today.

Bloor and High Park/Then and Now

Taken in 1920, this photo shows the north side of Bloor just west of High Park.
The same two houses today.

Bloor and Jane/Then and Now

Looking east along Bloor towards Jane in 1943.

Richmond and Peter Street/Then and Now

This block of townhouses on Richmond (1944) would soon be demolished and replaced by the building seen below.
This row of homes (a twin of those demolished) survives just to the east.

King and John/Then and Now

Looking west across John Street in the early 1960's. Farb's car wash on the N/W corner was knocked down in the early 90's and the site remained a parking lot until the Bell Lightbox was built last year. Note the neon sign.
Last year during construction.

Leader Lane/Then and Now

Leader Lane, looking south in 1920.Named after the The Toronto Leader newspaper who's offices were located here between 1852 and 1878.The remaining building is home to the Tom Jones Steakhouse which opened in 1966.
A similar view in 2010.