Sunday, June 5, 2011

Elizbeth and Louisa Street/Then

Two kids playing in the street 1912.
The S/W corner of Elizabeth and Louisa Street. Louisa Street no longer exists as this entire neighbourhood was demolished to accommodate the building of New City Hall. For more information on "the Ward" as it was known, click here.
The red square indicates this lost intersection.

Portland Street/Then and Now

Brant Street/Then, Then and Now

16 Brant Street in the spring of 1939 with the Public School in the background.
Eight months later after the repair work.

Seventy years later the house is long gone but the school remains.

Brant Street and Adelaide/Then and Now

1958 before Adelaide was a one way street.

Brant Street Public School/Then and Now

Brant Street Public school south of Adelaide circa 1928.

Dundas and Pacific/Then and Now

Looking across the S/W corner of Dundas and Pacific in 1922 when it was the Old Country Furniture Store.2010.

Yonge and Alexander /Then and Now

Looking north up Yonge Street across Alexander in 1938.
2010 and there's not much left.
Another angle of the N/E corner. This one's been mis-labelled Bathurst and Queen.
Looking west to Yonge, 1952.
A fire in 1941 at the Lyons Furniture Store.

More Edison Hotel

The Edison Hotel can be seen on the right in this photo taken during subway construction in 1950. Looking east along Gould.
From the late 1970's when Music World was there.